Elton John cancels show 20 minutes after it was due to begin - Noise11.com
Elton John and his Band perform in Melbourne at Rod Laver Arena on Friday 11 December 2015. Photo by Ros O'Gorman

Elton John and his Band perform in Melbourne at Rod Laver Arena on Friday 11 December 2015. Photo by Ros O'Gorman

Elton John cancels show 20 minutes after it was due to begin

by Music-News.com on November 29, 2018

in News

Elton John cancelled his scheduled show in Orlando, Florida on Tuesday night (27Nov18) – 20 minutes after it was due to start.

The 71-year-old singer had been due to take to the stage at the Amway Center as part of his Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour.

However, after falling ill with an ear infection, the Your Song star made the decision to axe the performance and reschedule for another date.

“We’re sorry to announce that due to an ear infection, Elton John is unable to perform tonight. The rescheduled Orlando date will be announced in the near future so please hold onto your tickets,” the Amway Center posted on Twitter.

But the announcement didn’t go down well with fans, who had already purchased merchandise, food and drink ahead of the show beginning.

“Holy crap/ $250 on tickets/ $150 hotel/ $30 in drinks/ Elton John cancelled for the night… Priceless,” one wrote.

Amway Center have promised that all receipts and passes will be honoured on the rescheduled date when it is decided.

Other fans blasted the singer for leaving it so late to cancel the gig, with one tweeting a picture of her son crying and writing: “#EltonJohn I can’t believe you canceled an 8pm concert at 8.25pm. No-one could have called that earlier? Seriously? Unbelievable. My 8 year old mega fan is devastated.”

In response to another fan complaining about the late announcement, Amway Center tweeted: “We understand your disappointment… Elton John was in the building and the news was shared with us immediately prior to the PA announcement being made.”

It had earlier been reported that the show had been cancelled due to a credible bomb threat. However, these rumours were shot down by City of Orlando marketing manager Tanya Bowley, who told USA Today: “Any speculation or claims of a bomb threat are false and completely unfounded. Tonight’s cancellation was indeed due to Elton John’s ear infection as previously shared from the outset.”

Following Tuesday night’s cancellation, it was revealed that Wednesday night’s show, in Tampa, Florida, has also been axed.

“Due to an ear infection and doctor’s orders, the sold out show scheduled for Wednesday November 28, 2018 in Tampa is being postponed to a date to be determined,” the city’s Amalie Arena said in a statement.

music-news.com

Follow Noise11 on Twitter for news as it happens

For news as it happens follow Noise11 on Facebook

Noise11.com

Listen to the Noise11 Music News channel now at iHeartRadio

Related Posts

Ozzy Osbourne and Black Sabbath photo by Ros OGorman
Sharon Osbourne Suggest A Black Sabbath Hologram Show Is Possible

Sharon Osbourne is open to a Black Sabbath hologram show.

24 hours ago
Shane Nicholson
Jeff Martin, Shane Nicholson and Richie Lewis To Perform ‘Celebrating Neil Young From Harvest To Harvest Moon’

Jeff Martin of The Tea Party, Shane Nicholson and Tumbleweed’s Richie Lewis will present a tribute to Neil Young ‘Celebrating Neil Young: From Harvest To Harvest Moon’ in August and September.

1 day ago
Russell Morris
Russell Morris Announces ‘The Farewell Tour’

After almost 60 years of touring, rock and blues legend Russell Morris has announced what he is calling ‘The Farewell Tour’ but “never” is such a finite word.

2 days ago
REO Speedwagon, Noise11, Photo
Kevin Cronin Is Mighty Pissed REO Speedwagon Are Doing A Show Without Him

REO Speedwagon have announced a one-off show in June without singer and founding member Kevin Cronin and Cronin is mighty pissed about it.

4 days ago
David Bowie's childhood home in 1953 in Bromley
David Bowie Childhood Home In London For Sale

David Bowie’s childhood home in Bromley in Greater London is up for sale.

March 28, 2025
Billy Joel at the MCG 10 December 2022 photo by Bron Robinson
A Billy Joel Doco Is In The Works

A two-part documentary about the life and work of Billy Joel will be released later this year.

March 28, 2025
Johnny Mathis
Johnny Mathis Announces His Retirement

Johnny Mathis has announced his retirement from the stage after a seven-decade career, due to "age and memory issues".

March 28, 2025