Kanye West and Paul McCartney Bonded Over Their Mother's Deaths - Noise11.com
Kanye West 2012 - Photo By Ros O'Gorman

Kanye West 2012 - Photo By Ros O'Gorman

Kanye West and Paul McCartney Bonded Over Their Mother’s Deaths

by Music-News.com on March 25, 2017

in News

Paul McCartney bonded with Kanye West by sharing a story about how the loss of his mother inspired him creatively.

Kanye, 39, lost his mum Donda in 2007, after she died at the age of 58 following complications caused by cosmetic surgery. The rapper was just 30 at the time.

Paul, 74, who collaborated with the hip-hop star on the 2014 track Only One, lost his mother Mary at an even younger age when she died of an embolism in 1956 when The Beatles rocker was just 14.

The British star explains that in order to bond creatively with the Jesus Walks musician he told him the story of how a vision of his late mum inspired him to write The Beatles song Let It Be.

Paul tells the BBC, “(When meeting Kanye) I just was myself and I told Kanye various stories that had inspired me musically. One of them was how the song Let It Be arrived, which was through a dream I’d had in which I’d seen my mother, who had died 10 years previously but I was so inspired by that that I wrote the song. I told Kanye that, because he’d lost his mother. So then he wrote a song called Only One when I was just noodling around on the electronic piano. So he got the melody, I put the chords in and the style and that’s how it happened.”

The former Wings frontman admits that writing a song with Kanye was a bit of a departure for him, and jokes that if he hadn’t been happy with their collaboration he’d have denied all knowledge of working with him.

“Now with Kanye, I had no idea what was going to happen because I knew it wasn’t going to be two acoustic guitars opposite each other,” he adds. “So I thought, ‘Well, here goes nothing’.

“The one provision I said to everyone, I said, ‘Look, if I feel this doesn’t work out, then we just won’t tell anyone. Kanye who? I didn’t work with him!'”

Paul is currently working on a new solo album, and has enlisted Greg Kurstin, the man who co-produced Adele’s record breaking 2015 album 25, to help him perfect his material.

music-news.com

Related Posts

Michael Buble at Rod Laver Arena, photo Ros O'Gorman
Michael Bublé Slams Trumps Attitude Towards Canada

Michael Bublé has made a passionate speech amid Trump's tariff plans for Canada, declaring that the country is "not for sale".

13 minutes ago
Mark Ronson photo by Ros O'Gorman
Mark Ronson Gives Medical Date After Concert Scare

Mark Ronson has issued a health update after being rushed to hospital due to an injury.

22 hours ago
Eric Gales at Bluesfest Melbourne 2023 photo by Mary Boukouvalas
Eric Gales Is Returning To Australia And He Is A Must See Show

When I saw Eric Gales in 2023 in Melbourne he said he is “not the new Hendrix”. He might not think so but watch him live and you’ll probably disagree with his own assessment of himself.

23 hours ago
The Hives by Dean Bradshaw
The Hives To Return to Australia After 10 Years

The Hives are coming back to Australia for the first time in 10 years. The Swedish band last toured Australia in 2015 when they opened for AC/DC.

2 days ago
The Fray Facebook photo
The Fray Sell Out Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney Shows

Uptake for tickets to The Fray went faster than expected this week with sold-out shows for Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney. Perth still has limited tickets.

2 days ago
LeAnn Rimes supplied by TEG Dainty
LeAnn Rimes To Play Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney In September

LeAnn Rimes is coming back to Australia for what will be her first tour in 22 years and only second ever Aussie tour.

3 days ago
Zac Brown Band, Deni Blues and Roots Festival, Noise11, Ros O'Gorman, Photo
Zac Brown Band Announce Fourth Australian Tour Dates

Zac Brown Band will return to Australia in October for dates in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane as well as the Deni Ute Muster in Deniliquin.

3 days ago